Biscuits and gravy is a family favorite for lazy Sundays, and this simple recipe is a fun twist on the traditional. Smokey SkyPilot Farm kielbasa adds a richness to this easy gravy, and when hot-from-the-oven homemade biscuits are topped with the savory sauce and a sunny-side up SkyPilot Farm pastured egg, you have a crowd-pleaser of a Sunday brunch - or a weekday treat for yourself.
SkyPilot Farm Kielbasa Biscuits & Gravy
One 8oz link SkyPilot Farm Kielbasa, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsp butter
1/8 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup water
freshly prepared biscuit dough, enough for 4 biscuits*
for brushing biscuits:
1Tablespoon milk powder
2 Tablespoon water
2 Sky Pilot Farm eggs, sunny-side up
1. Preheat oven to 425F. While oven is preheating….
2. Sweat kielbasa in pan on stovetop at low heat for approximately 4 minutes.
3. Add butter and onion, then cook on low until onions turn translucent.
4. Sprinkle flour on top, just enough to cover.
5. Cook on low to form roux, about 4 minutes. Add 1 cup water to evenly disperse roux, then thin with additional water to preference and add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil.**
6. While roux is cooking, mix milk powder and hot water in separate container (you’ll use this mixture to brush the biscuits).
7. When gravy boils, remove from heat. (you will reheat to order when biscuits are ready.)
8. When oven is ready, brush biscuits with milk powder mixture and place in oven to cook.
9. When biscuits are ready, remove from oven, gently break in half horizontally, cover with a generous amount of kielbasa gravy, and top with a sunny-side up egg.
**Be sure to bring gravy to boil here to fully incorporate the roux